How I'm getting along
→ Discussion on /r/Citybound
Hi, just a short sign-of-life kind of blog post.
C++ is pretty cool, everything I do feels more "proper".
Apart from that, I've got the pleasant problem that my day job became pretty damn interesting and demanding. Not as interesting as Citybound though - I still manage to work on it ~2hrs per day on average.
What I did so far:
- wrote the basic part of compass, the core geometry module and in the process greatly simplified the code compared to the old one
- wrote whiteboard, a helper library to quickly display 2D drawings, mostly used as visual debugging for the geometry code
- sketched out how memory-mapped game state/save games would look in C++ (surprisingly natural!)
- found inspiration for a simplification of the road network representation, should affect a lot of areas
What I'm currently working on:
- implementing monet, a custom-tailored minimal deferred & physically based rendering engine that should allow for some pretty advanced and beautiful lighting shenanigans later on
The goal I'm working towards:
- reimplement basic planning mode for roads
- reimplement traffic simulation
- stress test traffic simulation with huge amount of randomly spawned cars, see how far I can push it
- also stress test renderer with amount of cars
That's all, I hope that gives you an idea! Speak to you soon!